- 1 1/2 tsp Olive oil
- 1/3 C chopped onion
- 1/3 C chopped sweet red or green peppers
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 C long-grain white rice
- 1 C canned tomatoes (with juice)
- 3/4 C chicken broth or water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
2. Stir in the garlic and rice; cook for 1 minute. Use a fork to break up the tomatoes right in the can; add to the skillet (with juice). Stir in the broth or water, salt, thyme, pepper flakes and bay leaf.
3. Bring the rice to a simmer, stir it well and reduce the heat to low. Cover the skillet and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed. During cooking, stir the rice once or twice and add a little extra liquid if necessary to prevent sticking. Remove and discard the bay leaf.
Robyn's notes: I topped this with shredded Cheddar cheese to make it an entree. Another option is to cook some cleaned and de-veined shrimp into it or some roast chicken.
Post a Comment