- 1 large cucumber
- 4 red onion slices
- 2 Tbsp rice or white-wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- ground red pepper to taste
1. If the cucumber is waxed, peel it; otherwise leave the skin intact. Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds with the tip of a teaspoon and slice the cucumber into 1/4" crescents. Place the slices in a small mixing bowl.
2. Separate the onion slices into rings and add them to the bowl.
3. In a measuring cup, stir together the vinegar, water, sugar, salt and red pepper. Pour the dressing over the cucumbers and onions.
4. Let the salad stand for at least 30 minutes at room temperature before servings, or cover and chill overnight. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Robyn's notes: I used red-wine vinegar because it's what I have in the house.