- 2 C whole wheat flakes cereal (Wheaties)
- 2 C crisp rice cereal (Rice Krispies)
- 1 C quick-cooking rolled oats
- ½ C toasted wheat germ
- ½ C shelled sunflower seeds (optional)
- ½ C raisins
- 1 C peanut butter (chunky ok)
- ¾ C corn syrup
- ½ C chocolate chips, if desired
1. Spray 9-inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray. In large bowl, combine cereals, oats, wheat germ, sunflower seeds, and raisins; mix well.
2. In medium saucepan, combine peanut butter and corn syrup; mix well. Cook over medium high heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture is smooth and melted, stirring constantly with wire whisk.
3. Pour hot mixture over cereal mixture; mix well. Quickly stir in chocolate chips. Spoon into sprayed pan; press firmly. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until cool. Cut into bars.
approx 18 bars
Robyn's notes: Once the mixture has cooled, I cut it into bars and wrap each of them separately in plastic cling wrap, then return them to the fridge for storage. To toast the wheat germ, spread it across a cookie sheet in a thin layer and bake at 350°F for about 5 minutes. Let stand for a few minutes before using in recipe. This is one of my favourite of the lunch bar recipes to make, because it's so quick and simple.
**** 4 Stars: Very Good. Enjoyed by us both, I will make this frequently
Nutrition Information: Calories 250; Calories from Fat: 100; Total Fat 11g; Saturated Fat 3g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 150mg; Total Carbohydrate 30g; Dietary Fiber 3g; Sugars 11g; Protein 7g;
Dietary Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1 Fruit, ½ High-Fat Meat, 1 ½ Fat OR 2 Carbohydrate, ½ High-Fat Meat, 1 ½ Fat