- 2 turnips, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 ¼ C)
- 1/2 C chopped onion
- 1 C fresh baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 1 Tbsp chicken-flavor instant bouillon and seasoning
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 ¼ lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 ½ C water
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 small zucchini (abt 4oz), cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 small yellow squash (abt 4 oz), cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (10 oz) pkg uncooked couscous
1. In 3 ½ to 4 quart slow cooker, combine turnips, onion and carrots.In small bowl, combine instant bouillon, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne pepper; mix well. Sprinkle over vegetables.
2. Top vegetables with chicken thighs. Pour 1 ½ C water and lemon juice over chicken.
3. Cover; cook on LOW setting for 8 to 10 hours.
4. During last 30 minutes of cooking, gently stir in zucchini, squash and beans. Meanwhile, during last 5 minutes of cooking, prepare couscous as directed on package.
5. To serve, spoon couscous into serving bowls; top with stew.
Nutritional Information: Calories 420; Calories from Fat 100; Total Fat 11g; Saturated Fat 3g; Cholesterol 60mg; Sodium 850mg; Total Carbohydrate 54g; Dietary Fiber 8g; Sugars 5g; Protein 27g
Dietary Exchanges: 3 ½ Starch, 1 Vegetable, 2 Lean Meat, ½ Fat OR 3 ½ Carbohydrate, 1 Vegetable, 2 Lean Meat, ½ Fat
Robyn's notes: The prep is fairly fast, though. He and I both really liked this. It can look nicely upscale, too, impressive for guests.