- 2 C water
- 3 C shredded cabbage
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 C chopped onions
- 1/3 C long-grain white rice
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 C cooked black eyed peas
1. In a 2-quart saucepan over high heat, bring the water to a boil. Carefully add the cabbage, bring the water back to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Drain, saving the liquid.
2. Place the oil in a microwave safe 8"x8" baking dish. Microwave on high power for 1 minute. Stir in the onions and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir in the rice and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
3. Measure the reserved cabbage water. Stir 1 1/2 C of the water into the dish. Add the thyme, salt, and pepper flakes. Stir in the cabbage. Microwave on high for 8 minutes. Stir the mixture well and microwave on high for another 3 minutes.
4. Add the black-eyed peas and microwave on high for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the rice is just tender. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Robyn's notes: very important=if doubling this recipe, the times are all different (in other words, don't). The recipe lists the option of using bacon drippings instead of olive oil, but I don't just randomly keep bacon drippings in a jar and this was a vegetarian day anyway.