- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/3 C flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 C quick or old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 C butterscotch flavored morsels
2. Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, add to butter mixture and stir until combined. Stir in oats and morsels.
3. Drop dough onto baking sheet in rounded spoonfuls. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cookies are beginning to brown at the edges. Allow to cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet. Remove to wire rack to cool completely.
Yield: 8 medium-sized cookies
Robyn's notes: I made this twice, and the first time refrigerated the dough for an hour because I was in the middle of doing other things and wasn't ready to bake it yet. That's not at all necessary, but it certainly doesn't hurt anything, just makes it a bit more difficult to form the dough into balls. It will seem like there is far too much oat compared to dough when you start to mix in the oats, but stick with it and be sure to scrape your spoon, a lot of dough tries to hide in it. Same with the butterscotch chips, there seems to be too many, but they can all be combined, even if it means pressing the stragglers into the dough balls before placing them on a cookie sheet. The first four cookies I baked for 8 minutes, the second four for 10. Not much difference between the two, and neither batch flattened much while baking, though they certainly baked through and I think they're delicious. Just be aware that the cookies may not look cooked through if they've not flattened, but they actually are. If you want flat cookies, make them small, the littlest cookies I made did flatten out during baking, but they were about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Oatmeal Scotchies are some of my favourite cookies, so I'm very happy that these came out. I have also made this recipe at high altitude, successfully, with no changes. Several friends had them and all loved them.
**** 4 Stars: Very Good. Enjoyed by us both, I will make this frequently