- 1 green onion
- 1 C canned diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 corn tortillas
- 3/4 C rinsed and drained canned pinto or kidney beans
- 1/2 C coarsely shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 C nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 C coarsely shredded Cheddar cheese
2. Thinly slice the green onions, including the tender green part. Place the green onions in a small bowl or glass measure. Add the tomatoes (with juice), cilantro (if using), chili powder, cumin and garlic.
3. Spread half the mixture evenly in an 8" pie pan. Top with half the tortillas and all the beans. Sprinkle with the mozzarella. Top with the remaining tortillas and tomato mixture. Whisk the yogurt briefly and spread it over the tomato mixture. Sprinkle the Cheddar over the top.
4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbling hot throughout and the cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Robyn's notes: the recipe says that the casserole can also be microwaved on high for 2 minutes, but I can't speak to that. It's easily double-able if made in an 11"x7" baking pan instead of pie pan.