- 1 C maple syrup or honey
- 2/3 C chunky natural peanut butter
- 2 2/3 C rolled oats
- 1 C whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 C wheat germ
- 2 C mix-ins in any combination of the following: sweetened flaked coconut, raisins, chocolate or carob chips, unsalted nuts, any finely chopped dried fruit such as dates, apricots, apples, etc.
- 1/2 C raisins or dried apple
- 1/4 C wheat bran
- 1/2 C walnuts (for omega-3's)
- 4 scoops soy protein powder (between 1/4 and 1/2 C)
1. Mix syrup (or honey) and peanut butter until well blended. Stir in oats, flour, wheat germ, spices, and mix-ins. If mixture seems too dry, add water 1 tsp at a time. If it is too sticky, add oats 1 tsp at a time. Mixture should be slightly sticky, but still easily spread in a pan with greased fingers.
2. Press into a 9x13 inch pan lightly greased. Bake at 350°F until barely browned (approx 12 minutes). Do not overbake! Cut while warm into desired sized bars.
3. When completely cool, remove from pan with a greased spatula. Wrap each bar separately in plastic wrap then store in a zip bag or air tight container.
Makes about 2 dozen bars.
1 serving contains: Carbs: 37 grams; Protein: 12 grams; Fat: 7 grams; Fiber: 5 grams