- half package (10.5oz) firm or extra firm tofu
- 2 Tbsp chopped celery
- 1 Tbsp sliced green onions
- 2 Tbsp low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 1 tsp sweet honey mustard
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- dash turmeric
- whole wheat pita breads
- spinach leaves
- 1 small tomato, sliced
1. Drain tofu if necessary; press between layers of paper towels to remove excess moisture. Place tofu in medium bowl; break up slightly with fork. Add celery and onions; mix well.
2. In medium bowl, combine yogurt, relish, mustard, curry powder and turmeric; blend well. Stir carefully into tofu mixture. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes to blend flavors.
3. Fill pita breads with spinach leaves, tomato slices, and tofu mixture.
Robyn's notes: This was quite easy and I was pleasantly surprised at how much he liked it, as this was his first foray into tofu. I had it in the fridge for a couple hours and it got a little watery and turned very yellow, but neither of those things were a problem.
Ingredient Info: Turmeric is used in some recipes as a substitute for expensive saffron. It is commonly used in curries and to provide colour (bright yellow). The turmeric plant, by the way, is thought to have many medicinal properties in Ayurvedic medicine.