- 3 slices bacon
- 3/4 C plus 2 Tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch cayenne pepper
- pinch pepper
- 2oz extra-sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (about 1/2 C)
- 1/4 C whole milk
- 3 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus extra for greasing pan
- 1 large egg
- 1oz Parmesan cheese, shredded on large holes of box grater (about 1/3 C)
2. When bacon is completely cool and all grease is gone from it, preheat oven to 350°F.
3. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne, and pepper together in medium bowl. Fold in cheddar, breaking up clumps, until it is coated with flour mixture. In separate bowl, whisk milk, sour cream, melted butter, and egg together until smooth. Gently fold milk mixture into flour mixture with rubber spatula until just combined (do not overmix). Batter will be heavy and thick.
4. Scrape batter into skillet and smooth top. Sprinkle remaining 3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese evenly over top of batter. Bake until golden brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out with few crumbs attached, 25-30 minutes.
5. Let bread cool in pan for 5 minutes, then turn it out onto wire rack and let cool completely before serving.
Robyn's notes: I had originally envisioned these as biscuits, but the batter was quite loose and ran together in the oven. I cut the finished bread into four quarters along the lines where the biscuits had been dropped in. Really good. Watch me demonstrate this recipe on youtube!
**** 4 Stars: Very Good. Enjoyed by us both, I will make this frequently
Post a Comment