- 1/4 C butter, at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 7 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp + 2 tsp cornstarch
- pinch salt (see notes, below)
2. Add mix-ins to dough, stirring well to combine (see notes, below). Shape dough into a log about 1 1/2 inches thick. Wrap in plastic or waxed paper and refrigerate at least 2 hours before slicing or baking them (or freeze for up to 8 weeks).
3. Preheat oven to 325. Line cookie sheet with parchment or silicone liner.
4. Unwrap log and slice cookie dough into rounds about 1/4 inch thick. Place rounds on lined cookie sheet and bake until edges of cookies are just slightly browned, 20-25 minutes.
Robyn's notes: this dough makes very crisp cookies, because of the cornstarch. For the salt, it should be 1/16 tsp, I used my 1/8 tsp measuring spoon and filled it halfway. The photo above shows the entire batch, so it's a good recipe for making just a few cookies for two people. The dough is intended as a base for multiple mix-in options, and I didn't use any of them. I added 1/2 tsp vanilla to the dough, then flattened it into a 1/4 inch-thick disc, wrapped it in plastic, and refrigerated it for 2 hours. I then lay it out on the counter and cut out the four stars. The remaining bits of dough I rolled into balls about an inch thick, and rolled them in sugar that I'd dyed with food colouring. I placed the balls onto the parchment-lined cookie sheet and flattened them with the back of a metal spatula. The stars were placed onto the cookie sheet and sprinkled with leftover coloured sugar. I then baked them for the given time. The cookies came out only ok, not enough flavour. We ended up frosting them with leftover frosting from the cupcakes I'd also made, and that was good. I will try the recipe again with other mix-ins and may increase the star rating depending on how it turns out. To do the recipe properly, here are suggested mix-ins (use only one):
1 1/2 tsp finely chopped lemon thyme OR
1 tsp citrus zest + 1/4 tsp orange flower water OR
1/2 tsp cinnamon + pinch each of ground cloves & nutmeg + 2 Tbsp toasted chopped walnuts or pecans OR
1/2 tsp vanilla + 1/4 C unsweetened shredded coconut
*** 3 Stars: Good. At least one of us liked this enough for me to make it again, but not often