- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- 1 (15.5oz) can great northern beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- dash ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1/4 C loosely packed fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 C loosely packed spinach leaves
- 1/2 medium zucchini, very thinly sliced
- 4 very thin slices red onion, halved
- 8 thin slices tomato, halved
- 4 (6-inch) whole wheat pita pocket breads, halved
2. To assemble sandwiches, place spinach leaves, zucchini, onion and tomato slices in each pita bread half. Spoon about 2 Tbsp hummus into each.
Yield: 8 sandwiches; 4 servings
Robyn's notes: this was really quite good and very easy to make. I just had white bread pitas with the hummus, while he had the whole wheat pitas with everything. If variation is desired, the hummus can be made with either sun-dried tomato or marinated artichoke heart. Add either ingredient when adding the parsley.
*** 3 Stars: Good. At least one of us liked this enough for me to make it again, but not often