A great dish for a busy Sunday, with just a few steps and taking advantage of a slow cooker, this makes a tasty end-of-summer hot dinner that makes the house smell fabulous!
- 3/4 lb boneless beef top round steak, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 2/3 C condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 C beef broth
- 4 large fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 C chopped onion
- 1/4 C chopped green pepper
- 1/4 C chopped celery
- 1/2 C flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp beaten egg
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley flakes
2. Combine the soup, broth, and vegetables; pour over steak. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours.
3. For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in egg and milk just until blended. Drop by Tablespoonfuls onto meat mixture. Sprinkle with parsley. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour. After 5 total hours of cooking, a toothpick inserted in a dumpling should come out clean.
Robyn's notes: I enjoyed this more than expected, because I'm not someone who has eaten a lot of dumplings in my life, so I was pleasantly surprised by them. The aroma really was great, my stomach was rumbling by dinnertime. Watch me demonstrate this recipe on YouTube!
*** 3 Stars: Good. At least one of us liked this enough for me to make it again, but not often