- 1 1/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 C sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1/2 C mashed ripe banana
- 2 Tbsp plain yogurt
- 1/4 C chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
2. In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
3. In another medium bowl, beat sugar, eggs, and butter until fluffy. Slowly beat in bananas and yogurt. Add flour mixture and mix just until blended. Do not overmix or the bread will be tough. Stir in nuts if using.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake on middle shelf for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then remove from pan to finish cooling on wire rack. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and let stand overnight to allow flavours to mellow.
Robyn's notes: I did not use the nuts, because I'm not able to eat them. For me, the amount of banana needed was one-and-a-half medium bananas once the completely black bruised sections had been cut out. This probably translates to one large banana that hasn't been manhandled by a checker who was presumably having a lousy day. My baking time was 40 minutes. I made this bread again after we moved, so I can confirm it was as good without any needed changes at 4,500ft.
*** 3 Stars: Good. At least one of us liked this enough for me to make it again, but not often