Check yield, this is a full-size dessert, not scaled down for two
- 1 pkg Pillsbury Fudge Cake Mix
- 21-oz can cherry fruit filling (pie filling)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 C sugar
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 C milk
- 6-oz pkg (1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate morsels
2. In large bowl, combine first four ingredients. By hand, stir until well mixed. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
3. While bars cool, prepare frosting. In small saucepan, combine sugar, butter, and milk. Boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate pieces until smooth. Pour over partially cooled bars.
Yield: About 3 dozen bars.
Robyn's notes: this has been a family favourite for decades, because it's so easy but comes out so good every time. It's moist and the cherry isn't overpowering. This was a Pillsbury Bake-off recipe winner in 1974, and Pillsbury does sometimes change the name of their boxed mixes. I don't know if they currently use the words "fudge cake mix", but any basic chocolate cake mix works. Just be sure it's a cake mix, not brownies, and that there isn't anything additional (such as chunks of chocolate). When making this last night, we had a Betty Crocker Dark Chocolate Cake Mix in the house, and that's what we used.
***** 5 Stars: Excellent. A favourite for both of us, I will make this repeatedly